Re: Problems with Linux

On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 07:48:15AM +0000, Sumantra Roy wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm facing 4 problems with Linux.
>
> 1) I'm the sole user of my system, and so I really don't want to go through
> the hassle of having to log in each time I boot into Linux. Is there any
> way of bypassing the login and password prompts during boot-up? ( I log in
> as root ). Will this method also disable the login prompt when I boot into
> X ( or KDE ) through runlevel 5?

You're advised not to be logged in as root, for your own good :)

However, if you want to login as user foo, everytime you turn on Linux,
you could put something in /etc/inittab that effectively does:

su -c startx foo

with startkde in your .xinitrc.

> 2) In Win 98, a click on the middle mouse button of my Logitech Mouse is
> configured to act as a double-click. Is there any way of having the same
> functionality in Linux?

Look for "ChordMiddle" in man XF86Config.

> 3) This may be a rather unusual request but can Linux be made
> case-insensitive, i.e. can, say, the command "pico xyz" be made to open a
> file named "XYZ", provided there's no file named"xyz"?

You can write a wrapper around pico which does this. If you want a more
generic functionality, try hacking your shell to do this.

> 4) I have a student's shell account with VSNL. What program can I use to
> log in to the Internet? Please inform me of the exact procedure.

# minicom

Type ATDT telephone-number.

	-Arun