Re: Problems with Linux

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Sumantra Roy wrote:

*>Hi!
*>
*>1) I'm the sole user of my system, and so I really don't want to go through
*>the hassle of having to log in each time I boot into Linux. Is there any
*>way of bypassing the login and password prompts during boot-up? ( I log in

For a single user (with out passwd) use init 1 as the defaut in
/etc/inittab. Then you may have to do lot of customaziation, as rc scripts
for a single user is not quite good (IMHO).

*>as root ). Will this method also disable the login prompt when I boot into
*>X ( or KDE ) through runlevel 5?

Ofcourse you can make urself automatically enter to KDE, in init 1, but
you may have to kindle the rc script.

*>2) In Win 98, a click on the middle mouse button of my Logitech Mouse is
*>configured to act as a double-click. Is there any way of having the same
*>functionality in Linux?

Have not tried, but possible.

*>3) This may be a rather unusual request but can Linux be made
*>case-insensitive, i.e. can, say, the command "pico xyz" be made to open a
*>file named "XYZ", provided there's no file named"xyz"?

No I think.

*>4) I have a student's shell account with VSNL. What program can I use to
*>log in to the Internet? Please inform me of the exact procedure.

minicom, this is as simple as hyperterm, (if you are fimiliar with
windose). Try xminicom as well..

And BTW look at top Gerry has got linux-india mailing address :-), (I just
R in pine)

- -Chetan S