RE: Modems for Linux?

>      I have heard that Winmodems don't work with linux. Now, I
> want a modem so that
> I  can surf from both Windows and Linux.My question is  :
> How to distinguish between a winmodem and a modem that works with
> Linux. Is this info given on the cover box of the
> modem or is it impossible to tell a winmodem from a Linux
> friendly modem just by looking at
> it.

Simple answer - buy an external modem. *All* WinModems I have come across so
far are internal modems.

I have heard rumours of an external US Robotics/3COM modem that is a
WinModem, so you might want to avoid that brand.

As for which modem being a good one - the one that works best is the one you
tried *at your place* before you paid for it. Brandnames mean nothing. I
have seen cheapo modems perform great on lines where 10K modems bombed, and
of course vice versa.

Seeing is believing.

Atul