Modems for Linux?

Hi,
I have installed Win 98 and RH 5.2 on my compu.
     I have heard that Winmodems don't work with linux. Now, I want a modem so that
I  can surf from both Windows and Linux.My question is  :
How to distinguish between a winmodem and a modem that works with Linux. Is this info given on the cover box of the
modem or is it impossible to tell a winmodem from a Linux friendly modem just by looking at
it.
       If you have any suggestions on what brand to buy, please guide me.
Thanks all Linux lovers.
Rahul