Re: Problems(?)/features(?) in Chip special RH 6.0

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Ganesh wrote:

>   1. I have installed RH 6.0 from CHIP linux.  It was working for 2-3
> days.  Yesterday it was giving error for even logging. Then I tried

?! . I too use it, so far it has not given any problem.

>   2. Another important thing is there is no LDP Documentation at all.
> (i.e., HOWTO directory under /usr/doc/).

Check the doc directory of the CD. They are there. They did not provide an
rpm for it. I did a cp -r and its on my hard disk.

>   3. There is no ipfwadm for firewall.  But people told me that
> ipfwadm is changed to ipchain.

True. See the HOWTO too. Please note a recent mail about ip chaining in
this list from Raju and Atul.

> only one character (x) is presented in the password field.  I deleted
> it, even then it is asking password for that particular account. Is
> this is new security feature they have added in 6.0?

Shadow is enabled . Passwd entry is in shadow. Since passwd file is
globally readable, it contains a mere x. Look for /etc/shadow and change
it there.

>   6. If you mount the CDROM with mount /mnt/cdrom, it's saying Kernel
> panic.... insmod.....

Wrong module ? wrong version ?.
I use a 2.2.10 kernel with RH6 with compiled in support for CDROM.
No problems so far. Try compiling your own kernel.