ftp and telnet are so slow!!!

Hi,
I recently install Linux box and connect to my local network. I can ping
the other machines; how ever when I use telnet or ftp, I have to wait
about half  hour to connect other machines. Since telnet ftp can work
after half hour, I think the connection is ok. Why do I get to wait so
long? Anything wrong? and how can I fix this problem?
THANKS,

C.L.

Chien-Lung Wu						cwu4@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Graduate Student of ECE 				(O) 919-513-1894
at North Carolina State University			(H) 919-233-6724