Re: Network Cards

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, MANI SRIDHAR wrote:
>    My idea is to buy a PCI card for the Pentium machine that runs Linux. I
> was a no-problem card as far as linux was concerned. There were other
> cards - Compex, Genius and all of them, the shop keepers claimed, were
> NE2000 clones. Now, can somebody briefly tell me how linux comes to know

I use a Compex 2000 card in a Celeron 266 [:(] system and I'd compiled
kernel 2.2.10 ( 2.2.2 + patches). I had chosen CONFIG_NE2K_PCI=y and the
kernel recognises it. dmesg shows
"ne2k-pci.c: PCI NE2000 clone 'Compex RL2000' at I/O 0xef80, IRQ 9."

>    now to the 286. this machine has no harddisk and all i have is a dos
> boot floppy. le us say i do get an ISA card. how do i go about getting to
> use it ? None of the ISA cards i saw at the shops had any disks with the,m

As a diskless client - perhaps.
/usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/Diskless