Network Cards

Buy any NE2000 clone, it should work.  Try to get a card with jumpers
so that you don't have to fool around with MS-DUH based utilities to
configure non-PCI, unjumpered cards.

As for the PC's, you can use any ISA card under MS-DUH.  Get the
packet driver for the card you have and use NCSA Telnet, one of the
finest pieces of software for MS-DUH, to login to Linux.  Packet
drivers for popular cards are available at wuarchive.wustl.edu among
other places.

Another possibility is to get a proper (bidirectional) parallel cable
and use PLIP to hook up your computers using the parallel ports.  PLIP
packet drivers for MS-DUH are also available at the same place.

Finally, I feel that coax cable sucks for any reasonably-sized
network.  However, if you're only doing this for 3 machines at home,
it's definitely a cheaper and workable solution.

I don't know of any free Unixen for 286's except Minix.  Xenix is a
commercial product.

Regards,

- -- Raju