shared objects and device drivers ...

Hi,

I use RH kernel 2.0.30, on a 486DX4 m/c, 8 Mb ram + 16 Mb cache. I have a
couple of problems.

*****************
I tried to create a Java stub, and to use a Linux shared object to access a
few functions. Leaving the Java part apart, the file containing the
functions is say foo.c, a specific function being foo(), which I compiled
using -shared flag, and moved the file to foo.so. Linux does support .so
files on my m/c. The function is called from say caller.c where I have
opened it with dlopen(), used this handle in dlsym() to get the address of
foo(). I have checked for errors at every step. The program then compiles
and links correctly(with -Wall no warnings). But when I execute this, I have
a runaway program. Can I use gdb to track the error ? If yes, how do I use
gdb. I mean I gave,

list<CR>
break at <line_num><CR> but it gives error.

Must be my syntax. Any reference URLs ?
******************
My monitor is a low end SVGA with 512 Kb. In Micro$oft Windoze with
RTVGA???.drv files I got 256 colors. In linux X I only
get 16 colors. If I change the card setting to anything other than generic
VGA, the monitor goes haywire. I don't have exact
specs for the card, as I had assembled the m/c, that too four years back.
How can I make a device driver for the same ? Any
hints. I tried various sites having 'khg' but cannot get the example files
in any of them. Any help where I could get them, and
probably having least traffic ;-)

Thanks in advance for your help.

Suvendra