Re: Network problem

check if the module for you network card is loaded by issuing lsmod
check if IP address is assigned to your card by issuing ifconfig
check if route exists to your card from your machine by issuing route

If you get negative result for the above follow->
insmod 8390
insmod smc-ultra or insmod smc-ultra32 (which ever is applicable)
ifconfig eth0 <IP address>
route add -host <IP Address> dev eth0
now check by pinging any connected machine or your own IP.

If it works out look into howto setup
add this line to /etc/conf.modules
alias eth0 smc-ultra

Reboot the system and see if everything is still working.
Sachin.