Re: Interesting Problem: VT420

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, GURJEET SINGH wrote:

> Thanx Manas,
>
> I do agree that samba is a solution but what if there are two or three
> dozen such machines  each accessing an application on the UNIX host & want
> to get a printout of some results on to their win printer. Like some
> central stock query report or something.
>
> Then how do you proceed.

I guess you also mean that all those 'two or three dozen such machines'
have a printer of their own and they want to print it on none other than
their own printer.

Gurus may correct me but I think when it comes to sharing a win printer
with a *nix machine, Samba is the only thing. You can install all those
printers as SMB printers and write a shell script which will be executed
when a user logs in. This script will do nothing but just see the IP
address from which the telnet session has been initiated and peek into a
database (a simple file basically) where you will have the IP addresses
and their corresponding print queue names. Depending on the IP address, it
will set the environment variable PRINTER to the print queue that
corresponds to the printer on their own machine. I hope it's done now.

There can be hundreds of such weired workarounds for such weired problems
;-)

Hope it helps.

Manas

Ps: I am interesting in knowing if it can be accomplished without Samba.
Anyone??