Re: Cyrix MediaGX and RedHat Linux 6.0 (Help Needed)

- -----
From: Asheesh Sahajpal <asheesh@xxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi,
> I have installed Red Hat 6.0 From Chip CD on my Cyrix MediaGX-233 (MMX)
> machine.It has Display card and sound card built in the Processor
only.Setup
> asks for Display Adapter,Monitor and Sound Card  specifications.
>
> Display Adapter -  I Choosed MediaGx,But my monitor (Smatron 4 Bni) isn't
in
> the List.I tried by Choosing different monitors (Viz Samtron
5e/7...,Generic
> Monitor,Generic Multisycn etc.).I some cases,Setup Probes and puts up a
> value of  1280* 1024 at 8 bit color.Then If I choose 'Choose Default',I
get
> a flikering Display.
> On choosing 'Don't Probe' Option,It asks for how much VRam.My machine
Shares
> 2.5 Mb Out of total Ram.
> But There is no optin in the setup droplist of 2.5 Mb(2 Mb is there).After
> another probe it says 'A problem with Video Cofiguration.<Back>,<Quit>.If
> chosing video sycn frequecny 50-70 I am able to run X.But the display is
256
> colors.
>
> Sound Card-Which Sound card to Choose? I choosed Sound Blaster,Sound
Blaster
> Pro etc.It gives an error Resource or Driver Busy-Failed.
> Pls help this Newbie :)
> Thanks in Anticipation.
> Asheesh
Dear Asheesh,

I had the same config as up incl monitor and I managed to config SVGA and
sound on 5.2 but it was not consistant it worked ramdonly. I expected 6.0 to
have all support. I suggest u drop the idea of using Media GX as according
to Cyrix themselves it does NOT support linux though some III party dirvers
are there they *may or may nor * work .

Yognanad G