Data recovery experiences

Hi,
    I accidentally deleted some files last weekend from one of my
data partitions. I immediately unmounted that partition, and
remembering an ext2 recovery package I had stored on that partn.,
remounted it read-only, copied it away and again unmounted it. I compiled it
and went through the documents. With just three commands at the
shell-prompt, this
package had recovered about 1000 and odd files from that partition.
I was literally stunned. Going through the recovered files(in /tmp),
I found all the files I had recently deleted to be in perfect shape( some 30
files including ELF binaries and TGZ packages). You should try out the
package
  <http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/utils/file/e2recover-1.0.tar.gz>
I am more careful now : I did a chattr +i on all my important files
and am trying to spend less time as root on my desktop. I guess one
learns only from disasters. I was lucky this time.
Bye,
Vimal