Re: How to Transfer the whole Linux partition to new HDD

On Sun, Jul 11, 1999 at 11:43:46PM +0530, Nitin Srivastava wrote:
- ->     I have purchased a new HDD of 2.1GB Capacity. Currently I have installed
- -> my Linux on a 340MB HDD. I want to use the new 2.1GB HDD in place of the
- -> currently installed one. How can i transfer all my data and linux system
- -> setup to this new HDD. Else please Guide me to How to use this HDD with the
- -> older one as I cannot Install Linux Again as I have done lot of
- -> modifications to the current setup in my network.

	similar questions have been discussed before. use fdisk to partition
the new harddisk. "fdisk /dev/hdc" if the new hard-disk is connected  as
a secondary master. else try /dev/hdb or /dev/hdd. create two partitions
in the new disk for /usr and /home and initially mount them as /usr1 and
/home1. "mkdir /usr1;mount -t ext2 /dev/hdc1 /usr1;cp -R /usr /usr1".
similarly for home. modify your /etc/fstab to mount the new disk's
partitions as /usr and /home
/dev/hdc1               /home                   ext2    defaults 1 1
after verifying the stability of the system, unmount the new /usr and
/home and delete the existing copies of /usr and /home to save space for
/tmp, /var etc.

- --
With Regards,

S Ravi Shankar