Re: [linux-delhi] ADMINISTRIVIA

Hi lokee, all,

> Anyway, by this i don't mean to discourage newbies from sending mails.
But you've done that. Reading your mail when I just read that you were going
to quote a message for its stupidity , and as I was scrolling down the
message, my heart sank (and missed a few heartbeats.. I guess 3) with the
expectation that what-if  its one of my mails. Not seeing one of those was
relieving but it sure does not comfort me to see a fellow newbie being
ridiculed in public. I'm going to have to take care to ask only intelligent
questions so that next time you dont quote me in a fit of similar glory.This
is discouragement enough.What you failed to notice is that the person you
quoted has come to Linux, from windows, expecting a black console and not
being intimidated. And by the way its not dumb to post from OE, its poor
work on our side not to have come up with a nice little package that can
handle HTML mail ,and which is good enough for everyone to kick out pine for
good. Lets not take the easy way out and shun HTML mail just because we dont
have the resources to read it.

> But
> i do expect them to go for learning things, rather than expecting a purely
> mechanical answer. I dont think they should feel offended when someone
> says "READ THE HOWTO".

This depends on the path you wish linux to follow.(see- Linux Community vs.
Linux Industry, at slashdot). The basic approach we are following now is
Linux for all. I first installed Linux in may-98. I booted into it and came
to a command prompt.. now what, I thought? There wasnt anybody to tell me
where on my system are the HOWTO's (or if there is something like a HOWTO at
all), I didnt know startx , I didnt know of man.. nothing at all. I'd heard
that there's a powerful compiler in linux called gcc. So i simply typed gcc
and expected a blue screen with a File menu , I got an error instead. That
was goodbye to Linux.. till I came to know of Linux-India , where I hanged
around for a while and learnt to find my way around. Its been three months
now, and I'm in love with gcc , and if I'll know enough.... I'll someday
even try to write a patch to make it do more things, and in a better way.
Repeat what you've done... and we'll have lesser people like me. But I still
use OE , because I've yet to find anything else that sorts , searches and
presents my mail quite like it. I'm not using Linux because its Linux, I'm
using it because I find it better. I use windows media player because my
movies play full-screen in it, I use gcc because there's nothing quite like
it, I use OE because I love it, I use netscape because its faster and has a
button to toggle images,I dont use vi, I use joe.. I'll have the best of all
worlds, no matter how dumb you think me to be, and I'll laugh when I see you
doing in pine, painstakingly, what I can do in OE with two clicks.

> All comments welcome, flames go to /dev/null [OH NO, IT'S FULL]

This isnt intended to be a flame... I'm getting emotional though. :)

Regards,
Sundeep.