Mounting CDROMS with noexec permission !!!

Hello All,

        Ragu (vu2rgu) had a problem running mp3's directly off the CD
drive because the file permission was automatically set as executable.
Every time he tried playing it off the CD itself, the error "bash:
./foo.mp3: cannot execute binary file" popped up. He wanted to know
whether disc could be mounted with the noexec bit set like for example,
the vfat file system.

        Well, i think i have a solution. I don't know whether it will be
of relevance now as a long time has now elapsed (over a month i think).

        The isofs driver sets the permission to r-x as default since the
disc could be shared with DOS machines so virtually anything could be a
valid executable(refer inode.c). But this setup is a headache for Linux
only users as we have to copy the file to the ext2 partition and chmod
it manually every time.

Try this instead...

        mount -t iso9660 -r -o mode=000 /dev/cdrom /cdrom -v
                # mode - Sets the permissions on files to xxx (refer
isofs.txt)

        The '000' value was plucked out of thin air after a lot of
experimentation with random figures. It took me hellofalot of hacking to
get this done, so if u find it useful please drop me a line.

        Can some one explain what does the '000' value signify. Null, i
suppose???