Re: Getting Linux back - pls hlp

> with LILO.
> When i go into Windows, Norton used to ask "your boot sector has changed.
> Repair ? Continue ?" and I used to continue..
> Recently, my brother (elder) typed Repair !!! And now I dont get the LILO
> prompt, so the machine goes straight to Windows.
>
> So i used the boot/rescue diskette (made with mkbootdisk that came with 5.2)
> but it hangs saying "Cant install monitor" or something like that.
>
> How can I get Linux back without loosing / reformatting. I am sure it should
> be easy !

If you have the boot disk of your system (that was created when you installed
Linux) then boot from this disk, log as root and run /sbin/lilo

If you dont have the boot disk then you can create it on some other working
linux system (mkbootdisk),

otherwise create two disks (installation and rescue) from CD (using Windows)
and then type rescue at LILO Boot:, once booted, you can reinstall LILO
(this time create an lilo.conf file).

Atul