Re: Getting Linux back - pls hlp

Rahul Kumar wrote:

> Dear all - I've done something bad. Pls help.

	Dont we all :-(

> I had (have?) Linux RH5.2 on one partition and '98 on another. I boot(ed)
> with LILO.
> When i go into Windows, Norton used to ask "your boot sector has changed.
> Repair ? Continue ?" and I used to continue..
> Recently, my brother (elder) typed Repair !!! And now I dont get the LILO
> prompt, so the machine goes straight to Windows.

	Ur MBR is corrupted. Use loadlin to boot to ur linux partition and re
run lilo. This time do not install it on the mbr but put it on the root
partition itself (RTFM on how to do it).

This is a
> So i used the boot/rescue diskette (made with mkbootdisk that came with 5.2)
> but it hangs saying "Cant install monitor" or something like that.
>
> How can I get Linux back without loosing / reformatting. I am sure it should
> be easy !

	I have gotton out of situations like this w/o loosing any data. Do your
self a favor by getting rid of Norton Utilities. Get rid of win98 also
while ur at it ;-)

- -- Shanu
  Shanker Balan                                 Debian/GNU Linux 2.1
  St. Alberts College
  Cochin