Re: httpd failed

Rajesh Fowkar proclaimed:
> When I type hostname at the prompt. I get the following
>
> $localhost.localdomain
>
> - There is no file with the name /etc/hostname.

Then create a file and let the contents of it be the name of your machine.

> - My /etc/hosts file is blank ( No contents ).

this file should have contents and be of the format:

IP_Address	FQDN	shortname

In the case of a machine that has a static IP address this will be:

IP_Address	www.foo.com	www

(That is just an example.  Change it according to your tastes.)

In the case of a machine that is not connected to the net this will be:

127.0.0.1	www	www

(www is just an example.  choose your own name.)

> - There is a file called /etc/host.conf. The contents are as follows :
>         order hosts, bind
>         multi on

This just means that when you do name lookups (using nslookup) the order
for lookups to happen is the /etc/hosts file first and bind (ie. DNS) next.

> - /etc/resolv.conf  file has got the following line :

In case your machine is connected to the net this file should look like:

domain          your.domain.name
search          your.sub.domain
nameserver      206.13.28.12
nameserver      206.13.31.12

Replace the two IP addresses in the above with the IP addresses of your
primary and secondary DNS servers.

If you have further questions, please tell us if your computer is connected
to the net.

Thaths
- --
"If you really want something in life you have to work for it. Now quiet!
  They are about to announce the lottery numbers."  -- Homer J. Simpson
Sudhakar C13n http://people.netscape.com/thaths/ Lead Indentured Slave