Re: httpd failed

Hi  Sudhakar,

When I type hostname at the prompt. I get the following

$localhost.localdomain

- - There is no file with the name /etc/hostname.
- - My /etc/hosts file is blank ( No contents ).
- - There is a file called /etc/host.conf. The contents are as follows :
	order hosts, bind
	multi on
- - /etc/resolv.conf  file has got the following line :

What should I do ?

Thanks for reply.

Rajesh

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, you wrote:
> Rajesh Fowkar proclaimed:
> > I have installed Red Hat Linux 6 from CHIP CD.
> >
> > My problem is when I start linux the various services get started and while
> > starting httpd I get the following error :
> >
> > Starting http:                                         [ failed ]
> > httpd:cannot determine local hostname
> > Use the Servername Directive to Set it manually.
>

> What does
>
> $ hostname
>
> tell you?  What do you have in /etc/hostname, /etc/hosts and
> /etc/resolv.conf ?
>
> Looks like programs on your computer cannot determine the hostname.  Read
> the man page for hostname and set it (logged in as root).
>
> > after this the machine boots as usual and while shutting down again I get the
> > following message :
> >
> > shutting http                                           [failed]
> > This may be because the http service was not started properly while booting.
>
> This is obvious.  httpd was not started.  So it was not possible to shut it
> down.
>
> > Why is this happening ? What should I do to rectify it ?
>
> Here are the contents of the relevant files in my case.  Change according
> to your particular setup.
>
> $ cat /etc/hostname
> www
>
> $ cat /etc/hosts
> 216.103.113.202         www.aunet.org   www
>
> $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> # PacBell Entries
> domain          aunet.org
> search          aunet.org pacbell.net pacbell.com
> nameserver      206.13.28.12
> nameserver      206.13.31.12
> nameserver      206.13.29.12
>
> Thaths
> --
>
> "If you really want something in life you have to work for it. Now quiet!
>   They are about to announce the lottery numbers."  -- Homer J. Simpson
> Sudhakar C13n http://people.netscape.com/thaths/ Lead Indentured Slave

- --
Rajesh Fowkar