RE: Re : Network programming in Linux

Hi Vimal,

Vimal made the electron wave jingle:
	>Sure! I access the Internet tonight from a Windows system(last night
it was
	>from a Linux system) through a proxy server running Sun OS or Digital
Unix
     	>(belonging to VSNL).
Slight mistake, in terminology, I think ... the VSNL server that we
connect to is not a proxy server. It is a Gateway+DHCP server with
several racks of routers... in support

In addition I would like to add for the second query

Query 2:
>As you can see the PS have two roles, one is the server of Q_client, the
>other one is the client of S-server. Can I intergrate both of the roles of
>PS to be one program? Since The information collected from S-server will
>be computed and be kept (as a database) for Q_client. So I think the PS's
>program Should be integrated in one. Am I correct or wrong? Please give me
>guide or information. Any infomation will be apprciated.

A proxy server is supposed to play a dual role anyway. When the query
comes from the client, it is sent to the relavent server and the
relavent server replies to the query.

As any server, it listens to a specific port, when the call comes on
that port for a connection. It assigns a new port for the connection and
starts listening to that also. From the connection request, it
determines which server to connect to and attempts to establish a
connection to that through another port. Once that is done, both ports
are mapped and data flows transparently.

Actually, proxy server are more commonly associated with a kind of a
gateway-cum-proxy server concept in case of the Internet access, where
several client try to access the net using a common IP.

Regrads
Shashank