Mouse problems

Hi,

I installed RH5.2 from the PCQ CD. The installation went smoothly
and KDE too was installed. When I login and run startx KDE is
invoked but I find that I have absolutely no control over the
way the cursor behaves. Even a slight movement of the mouse
makes the cursor jump around with windows popping up and closing
by themselves.

I am pretty sure I have chosen the correct mouse driver while
configuring since the mouse works properly in the tty mode, cut
and paste etc are ok in this mode. Also an earlier installation
of RHL4.2 on the same machine was working just fine.

My friendly neighbourhood astrologer/priest has ruled out the
presence of a poltergeist so I have turned here for help. Any
tips on what I should do next ?

Thanks and Regards,
Nagaraj