RE: A request to list owners

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Anand Raman wrote:
> Not changing the reply to address : By sending a reply to all the
> receipients of the mail ( the linux-india mailing list and the poster),
> it serves dual purpose. Firstly the mail is sent to the original poster
> in the minimum possible time and secondly the list does not suffer too

Actually, if you think about it, that makes no sense whatsoever, simply
because the reply, when posted to the list, reaches the subscriber's mailbox
in roughly about the same time as a direct e-mail would.

If there is any delay at all, it would be because of some problem at the
list machine. While I admit that there have been problems, but they are
mostly sorted out.

As a proof, let me point out that all replies to your original post have
reached my mailbox in about a minute after they were posted by the person
replying. If that one or two (or even ten) minutes delay is not bearable by
you, I humbly suggest you try IRC instead of a mailing list to get your
problem solved.

The "delays" you perceive have nothing to do with the list's ability to
deliver mail to you - it is just that unless someone posts a reply, no reply
will reach you. Most people do not reply instantly, and because of the
volume of the list, it may take a couple of hours before they do.

Just my (Rs.44x$0.02)...

Atul

The SiS 6215 HOWTO resides at http://www.linux-india.org/sis