Strange behaviour

Hello,

After booting to linux this morning, I found that I could not ping any
other machines on the network. But I could ping the same machine.The
machine runs Debian Linux 2.1 (kernel 2.2.10). Till yesterday it was
working fine. Suspecting the card, I swapped the card with another working
one. Still the problem persisted. Then, to check it out, I pulled out my
Opti sound card and then I could ping, etc. My initial thoughts were
that there was an irq clash. But, the same setup was working all these
days. After some more experiments, I found that I could ping other
machines only after the sound modules were loaded. For the sake of
information, I have disabled kerneld and am using kmod instead. As
soon as I log on, I can do "cat /dev/sndstat" and then do ping,
telnet, etc to other machines. I am at a loss to understand this
strange behaviour all of a sudden. Any pointers would be welcome.

Thanks,

sridhar

Dr. Sridhar M. A.
Department of Physics