Modem trouble...

My config:
My HDD is partitioned six times...the first four running win98 and the
last two red hat ver 5.2. My modem is an internal USR 56K PnP (model
number 0584). There are no jumpers and it is an ISA interface (as far
as I know it is NOT a winmodem)

My problem:
In Win, my modem is configured under COM3/IRQ4 with I/O range
0x3e8-0x3ef. In Linux, I cannot get it to work on anything: ttyS0-ttyS3
and cua0-cua3. However, on cua2, the modem is detected but when I issue
the following command:
cu -l /dev/cua2
I get the message "Connected". But no reponse to any AT
commands....like it's hung.

My plea:
Help me please!

Anuj