Re: Information on Linux usage: A Survey

- ----- Original Message -----
From: RANJAN DHINGRA <ranjandhingra@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <linux-india@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 1999 2:31 PM
Subject: Information on Linux usage: A Survey

> Sir,
>    We are students of jagan institute of management studies and are
> conducting
> a market survey on linux. we will be to you thankful if you could
> kindly help us in
> completion of our project by providing your valuable inputs. We seek
> answers to the questions given below:
>
> Q1. what are your perceptions regarding linux as an OS?
Excellent
> Q2. are you satisfied with linux?
Yes!
> Q3. which application do you use on linux?
gcc, p2c, joe, minix, lynx, Netscape, GIMP
> Q4. is back end support necessary for linux support?
If you want be ready to pay at par with M$
> Q5. have you heard about linuxpertise?
No
> Q6. how do you perceive it?
What?
> Q7. how linux affect you area of activity?
Desktop system
> Q8. how would you compare windows with linux?
Linux is less resource hungry
> Q9. how would you rate popularity of linux in india?
Low
>       low, moderat or high.
> Q10. please rate all the OS in terms of grades as following:
> 1.poor 2.satisfactory 3.good 4.v.good 5 excelent
>
>     OS            win nt    unix     linux     netware
> a.stability          4          5         5           x
> b.support         5          4         1           x
> c.price            1           1         5          x
> d.performance 4           4         4
> e.completeness 2         3         5
>
> Q11. how would you rank the following attributes that are the main
> reason for linux success:
> 1.low price        2.open source software
> 3.customisable     4.no single ownership
> 5.support from users and internet groups
>
> Q12. what is the future of linux in the market?
It  is not marketed in proper sense
> Q13. what are the barriers that come in your way while using linux?
Knowledge sharing
> Q14. how can the linux share be improved in india?
Check on piracy, creating user awareness
> Q15. what more services do you expect from linux?
Linux is not a company, what service are U talking about.
> Q16. how much are you willing to pay for the services being provided to
> you?

> Q17. is their any organisation which is providing you services for
> linux?
Yes -  LUG
> Q18. what OS were you using before using linux/
DOS, M$ windows, OS/2 - I still use
> Q19. have you fully switched over to linux or partially?
 Partially
> Q20. do you think linux popularity will grow in india/
Should - we can use our 486 in better way
>      what persuaded you to use linux? my old 486
> Q21. HCL is providing services for linux what do you think about it?
Do not know - never used.