Re: UNIX & Windows...????

- --MimeMultipartBoundary

Hi Karthik,

Granted linux has limited support for some hardware. but my xperience
tells me better.

When you install win95 you need to install the following

1 the OS itself
2 the driver for the Graphics card
3 The driver for the cdrom drive
4 the driver for the sound card
5 the driver for the PIIX4 or other special chipsets on the board
6 the drivers for the USB ports
7 the drivers for the printer
8 the drivers for the mouse
* the driver for any other hardware that you may have

And Considering that you have to REBOOT the system every time you install
something.
Now you can calculate the time for installing these & rebooting everytime.

and later on if you want you can install the application software.

Now consider the linux installation

1 the OS & various applications install in a single step
2 X server for the card is installed during first install itself
3 CDrom drive  support built into kernel
4 mouse support installed as default
5 Sound card modules installed as default
6 network card modules installed as default
7 MBD chipset support built into the kernel
8 parallel port support in the kernel + print filters can be installed
  along with the OS

Also you Don't have to reboot even if you install them seperately. just
load the module & you are ready to go.
you dont have to reboot even if you installed an application. simply add
the path to the application & logout & login again

ALL that linux asks of you is to be aware of the capabilities of your
hardware.(windows tries to isolate you from the inners of your PC, which
may be good in day to day usage but puts you in a quandry when you face
problems)

Also Linux has support for most of the Leading & standard Hardware
manufacturers. Of course you have to choose the hardware for a linux  BOX
very carefully, but that usually means that you will buy standard products
which will give better & trouble free performance.( never compromise on
hardware).

And Those six books that you had to read make you learn something. Linux
is all about a bold attempt at experimentation.Moreover the next time you
install linux you won't need those books ( Try it )

I recently installed SuSe6.1 on my brand new machine. I also installed
Win95 on a seperate partition on the same machine.

Now it took me round 1hr 10min minutes to install all the hardware a few
applications.
And Guess what it took me just 45 minutes to do the same in Linux. that
too despite the fact that the SuSe setup procedure is new to me (
Previously i was a RedHat5.2 user)
One single install installed everything from webserver to star office,
from all the hardware to MP3 player to KDE to ICEWM to whatever you can
dream of & that too with just one reboot. ( even an example account is
created before the reboot )

the only time that i had to spend was while selecting the components for
my Machine. ( a time well spent :-) )

Also in the past 2 years Linux has never crashed on me while win95 has
been crashing on me every other day noticeably on the same  machine.

I beleive that any amount of installation trouble is worth it if it gives
you a crash free performance later on.

I wrote such a big mail just to emphasize the fact that

linux is not WIN95 & WIN95 is Not Linux.

In order to appreciate Linux youhave to Come out of
your Windows shell & have a broader perspective at the various
alternatives.

And Who says Linux is not popular It has certain Fanatic FAN following ( &
I am proud to be one)& not without reason too.Though i admit that i use
Win95 as well ( dual boot ) coz certain tools that i use are not available
on Linux.(especially engineering tools)

Well I could go on & on but i tihnk i have made my point ..

That's it folks

Happy Computing

Gurjeet Singh
Research Engineer