Re: UNIX & Windows...????

> I think that should be default configured & should get running itself.

These are distribution issues and not related to Linux kernel as such. Have
you looked at some of the distributions other than Red Hat. OpenLinux 2.2 is
supposed to be very good at auto-detecting and some other distros claim to be
better at than that. For more info about different distros have a look at
Linux Weekly News / Distro page [current link
http://www.lwn.net/1999/0617/dists.phtml ]

> Also traditionally unix & hence Linux is a lot modular. Of course, that is
> no a disadvantage, but with new concept, it should be capable of
> administeing thing centrally like registry in Windows.

The Linux gurus have taken a right decision in not storing state information
between reboots in kernel space stating that it is an user space issue. So any
distribution can come with something like registry and make your life easier
(and I am sure if you search you will find one). Remember we do not want the
kernel to be bloated when it can be used in embedded systems.

>  I think many people can come up with useful suggestion for improvements
> in Linux. Those concepts are more required today, that are not implemented
> earlier in Linux.

Could you specify some of the improvements which you think should go into the
kernel but have not done so. There are some I can think (like hot pluggability
(ala USB) but no design has been found good to make it as a universal
solution) but mostly they are not kernel space issue. So different projects
try to takle those issues differntly and the distros pick and choose those
things depending on their target user.

- -swaps