Re: Xfree86 problem

> Hi,
>    I am a Linux newbie and recently installed Linux onto my m/c from the
> PCQUEST CD-ROM. Now am getting a problem with the X-server. My card is an
> ATI Mach64 GT with Internal RAMDAC. After running Xconfigurator, gave all
> the details - the on startx, the X-server started, but the display was with
> multiple windows and I was unable to use it. The probe during Xconfigurator
> which normally finds the card VRAM failed and I manually entered the same.
> After some effort and some books, got the X-server running on VGA mode, but
> programs like GIMP don't work, they crib about display depth not set. Can
> somebody help me with this ? Also, how do I install the SVGA server, I tried
> installing SVGA after installing the VGA, and Xconfigurator exited stating
> the SVGA server was not installed.
> Regards,
> Ashish
> ashisha@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Try running SuperProbe program and see if it detects your card.

Just check if the VideoRam line in your /etc/X11/XF86Config is uncommented
as follows:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ATI Mach64"
    VendorName  "ATI"
    BoardName   "264VT"
    VideoRam    2048
EndSection

Now if suppose your VRAM is 2048K and you are using 1024x768 mode then you
can run X in 16-bit color mode which should be OK for most of the applications.

Make sure that your "Screen" section for "accel" driver looks like this:

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "accel"
    Device      "ATI Mach64"
    Monitor     "14' SVGA"
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0
        Virtual     0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

You can not sun SVGA server (I mean XF86_SVGA) as Mach64 card is not
supported by XF86_SVGA. You should be having XF86_Mach64 as your X
server (check for the sym link /etc/X11/X).

Atul