Re: 486 with a large HDD

Atul Chitnis wrote:

> While the ability of Linux to run on a low end 486 is admirable, sheer
> logistics make this a bad idea - 486 machines are not maintainable anymore,
> you cannot get RAM or spares for them, etc. If you are going to depend on
> this machine for *any* kind of stuff and you blow a single RAM module, it
> will be the end of the story. Consider upgrading to a second hand Pentium 1
> motherboard instead - that's cheap, but more supportable.

RAM is not consumable item. I do not see any difference between 486 and
old pentium as regard the availability of spares. Both require 8 mb /16
mb sim, and which is not available, And where are 486 and p200 cpu ?
So either go for PIII (which will be replaced by xenon and 128 mb sim in
a year) or stay with 486.

Yes 386 was definitely odd man out, and could be dumped.

- --
Best Wishes.
- -mukund
http://members.theglobe.com/betacomp/default.html