Re: UNIX & Windows...????

Hi,

I hate flaming but this time I really HAVE to do it. Linux may be difficult
in many things but it's definitely NOT so during installation. I've never
needed six books on my side - not even when I installed Slackware 2.0 way
back which had a rather unwieldy installation. The only thing that is
troublesome is partitioning details which would have been there in Windows
installation too if they hadn't assumed that the entire hard disk is meant
for them. If you're only going to install Linux on your system, partitioning
isn't a worry at all.
As far as X is concerned, it supports almost all of the cards except SiS.
Getting X working with a supported hardware is easy with utilities like
xf86config and Xconfigurator. A point worth consideration is that drivers in
Linux are not written by the hardware manufacturers but by other programmers
who give it away for free and open source. As someone else rightly pointed
out, people get into mess with Linux only when they buy hardware with is
Windows compatible and never bother about Linux compatibility. How about
being a little careful and determining beforehand what (little) hardware
Linux doesn't support?

> On the other hand , when I installed windows 95 ,
> it was completed in 30 minutes flat. Everything was configured the way I
wanted including the display & graphics stuff.

Windows 98 took >45 minutes on my system as compared to ~25 minutes for
Linux. Also, Windows installation required at least three reboots. As for
configuring things the way I wanted, what if I want a display of 451x573 on
my system? Will windows let me do that?

Akshat