RE: UNIX & Windows...????

well. well. well.
you really got them fuming, didn't you ?
just to add my little bit :)

1. Linux was not designed to be a desktop OS for the office secretary.
Windows was.
2. Among the people Linux was /initially/ designed for, Linux is hugely
pouplar. There are a /really/ huge number of stealth
   linux installations in corporations all around the world. (last year, it
grew at 212 per cent in the desktop server market,
   while Win NT  managed much much less.) (well, OK, I know the growth rates
are or different bases...)
3. The time is not exactly right to compare linux with win95 if you are a
office secretary. Wait for some time.(1 year ? 6 months ?)
    let the support for that kind of user to build up.  Windows 3.1 was much
worse compared to Mac OS.
4. In life, there are no free lunches. If you are ready to spend half as
much (actually, much less)  on Linux as you do on windows,
    your life would be a lot easier.
5. Finally, linux gives you *choice*, and that will always have some costs.
If you have had both IE and Netscape on a Win95/98 m/c,
   you might realize how difficult it is to have /choice/ on a Win95
m/c.(and how important!)

Just one point for all those braying for karthik's blood :)
when karthik says 'linux', he clearly means not just the OS (although it
would be nice if he did), but the entire environment that
comes with it- which includes GUI and all sorts of applications. In the
consumer market, the OS itself means nothing really.
but then, karthik didn't exactly profess to belong there...

Ciao
Ankur