RE: Two ethernet cards

> ie the system recognises the card as eth1
> then I configure it with
> ifconfig eth1 192.168.50.96  broadcast ....... And netmask commands
> and ifconfig eth1 up
> then if  I say ifconfig it shows all three
> lo, eth0 and eth1
> but I still cannot ping eth1 and not able to go on the network with the
> second card ,
> again how can we detect both the cards at boot time ??

Too many people here are taking the hard way out. This is surprising - at
one time people cribbed about Linux being difficult to configure because you
had to edit all sorts of text files. Now that you have a simple utility to
do this stuff in a few seconds, no one uses it! ;-)

Run linuxconf (either on a console, or in X, or via your browers....), and
select

Config|Networking|BasicHostInformation

and go and fill in the details for each adaptor, select the correct drivers
from the list, and that it!

linuxconf rocks (now - it used to be bad news before), and is a
comprehensive and competent answer to certain FUDmongers who dis Linux
"because you have to edit text files". And you *don't* have to have X
running to use it (though it looks quite nice in X). RedHat has dumped its
own config utilities in favour of linuxconf, so that's saying something.

And before the purists jump on me - take a deep breath before you go off
ranting about "you don't learn anything using GUI tools", and understand the
situation: not everyone likes learning from failure. Some people like to see
quick successes (which is very encouraging), followed by a detailed
examination of config files after the fact.

Atul