Re: apt strangeness

On 10 Jun 1999, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>        Apt maintains a totally separate database of packages. As you
> have noticed, in order to use dselect, and apt, you need to
> a) make sure that apt is the selected method in dselect [A]ccess
> b) # dselect update
> c) # dselect select
> d) optionally,
>    # apt-get -m dist-upgrade (does more dependency checking than the
>                               next command, but may not honour packages
>                               held back, and does not know about
>                               changes made in step c)
>    # apt-get -m dselect-upgrade (I use apt-get rather than dselct
>                                  since I can use the -m option)

Thanks for the info. But, if I want to see what are the new packages
available after I do 'apt-get upgrade', what is the method (without
using dselect)?

Another question, as I mentioned earlier, my dselect database has gone
bad. Now is there a way I can bring it back to normal? Of course, I do
not have any problems in running the system, just feels funny when it
list amost all the new packages I had installed as Obsolete/local
packages.

Thanks,

sridhar

Sridhar M. A.