Re: apt strangeness

Hi,

        Apt maintains a totally separate database of packages. As you
 have noticed, in order to use dselect, and apt, you need to
 a) make sure that apt is the selected method in dselect [A]ccess
 b) # dselect update
 c) # dselect select
 d) optionally,
    # apt-get -m dist-upgrade (does more dependency checking than the
                               next command, but may not honour packages
                               held back, and does not know about
                               changes made in step c)
    # apt-get -m dselect-upgrade (I use apt-get rather than dselct
                                  since I can use the -m option)

        I rarely use dist-upgrade, unless it has been a while since my
 last upgrade, and large numbers of packages may have to be upgraded.

        Umm, I generally follow unstable, most of the time.

        manoj
- --
 This screen intentionally left blank.
Manoj Srivastava   <srivasta@xxxxxxxxxx>  <http://www.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/>