apt strangeness

Hi,

This is a question regarding Debian linux.
I upgraded one of my system from hamm to slink via the apt method as
suggested in README.upgrade by following method:

    1. Installed the new apt package on the cd
    2. After editing the /etc/apt/sources.list to point to my cdrom,
       did apt-get update
           apt-get -f dist-upgrade

Well, everything went well and nothing was broken. I was under the
impression that apt-get update would update the info about available
packages under slink. Unfortunately it does not seem to do it. If I
run dselect (after upgrading), I still see the same packages, of
course with newere version numbers. Should not apt add the info about
the new packages that are in slink and not in hamm? Is this a bug?

Just to see if I could get the info of new packages, I ran dselect and
did 'update' (without install). Now, dselect lists all the packages
that were installed as Obsolete/local packages. Why the discrepancy?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

sridhar

P.S.: BTW, the bug list of apt does not seem to list this problem.
      I am not sure if this a bug or I am messing up something.

Sridhar M. A.
Department of Physics
University of Mysore, Manasagangotri
Mysore 570 006, INDIA