Re: crypt system call

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Kousik Bera wrote:

+ system library/libc(I am not sure). I checked the man pages for crypt.
+ It's there. So I guess my system(RH 5.2, Kernel 2.0.36) supports 'crypt'
+ call. There is no /etc/shadow file. /etc/passwd file is there, and all
+ users and their encrypted passwords are listed there.
+ So I guess Shadow-Password suite is not installed on my system.
+ I am attaching a simple C test code and the linker output. Why 'crypt'

(Instead of "== NULL" in line 16 where u do getpwnam should'nt it be "!="
?)  Warnings must be compiler dependent. On SunOS v4.1.3, using "cc" it
gives the same warning which u got, but compiled. But using "gcc" (ver
2.7.2.2), got compiled w/o warning.

+ call is giving this problem? If crypt call can't be used, are there any
+ alternative method for password authentication programatically?
+ BTW if I want to know, what is the source code name for say "cp", are
+ there any way to find this info?

ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/ sources for the likes of "cp" can b found
under fileutils.. If you want sources for crypt, you can't legally d/l
from US sites, but these sites always have a pointer to some non US sites.

Sharad.