Playing VCD with xanim

Hi,

I downloaded xanim ver. 2.8 and installed it. Works fine (on some
animated gif's). I also downloaded the dll's available on the xanim's
website which the author suggests are needed to run various format
files. I checked whether I could play a vcd through xanim. I
could not. There are a couple of music??.dat files in mpegav directory
on the cd. I could play these file under Win95 and mtvp (downloaded
from www.mpegtv.com). Can anybody give me some pointers regarding
playing a vcd thru' xanim?

Incidentally, to check what type of a file music01.dat is, I did

       file music01.dat

I get a message that there is an error reading the file and the
program aborts. Any clues?

TIA,

sridhar

Dr. Sridhar M. A.