Memory Usage by X

Hi,

I checked the memory usage by X after 5 days of continuous operation and
found it to be whopping 46.1%. The performance had obviously slowed down.
I observed it for some time (1 day) and found that it fluctuated between
44.2% - 52.3%. I rebooted my machine and then somehow forgot about it.
Then after half a day I remembered the observations that I was making and
I checked that it's 18.1%. It's constant at that (or at least I found it
to be that way) for half an hr.

I am using kernel 2.0.36 and WindowMaker as window manager. One of my
friend connects to my machine using VNC but he is connected all the time.
He also uses WindowMaker. I have 64 MB RAM and 100 MB swap.

I gathered info about memory usage from 'top'.

Will some GURU please shed some light on this??

Thanks

Manas