Re: "du" displays some confusing output

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Ghins Mathai wrote:

> On my m/c I have  windows and Linux partitions. In Windoze, I checked
> the properties of a folder
> C:\aaaa\bbbb\. It reported disk space usage to be around 10 MB. However
> when I deleted the same I got 70 MB free.

The magic of the FAT system - if you have several thousand files, and a
FAT16 file system on a large hard disk, be aware that even a 1 byte file
will occupy 32K on the hard disk thanks to the efficient "cluster" system
Microsoft came up with. (Please note that I have used every ounce of
artistic license when using the word "efficient" above).

If you run Windows 98, use the drive convertor system tool to turn the
partition into FAT32 with 4K cluster size.

Or, better yet.....(I guess I shouldn't carry coals to newcastle).... ;-)

Atul