RE: Xi Graphics avail in India ??

> However, I
> thought Linux would run out of the box, and I would not need to
> buy further
> stuff to make it run. (And I was cheesed off that I still have to use '98
> for browsing, after loading Linux - that was the *real* issue)

I don't understand why you say you cannot use Linux just because you can't
get X started (which is probably because you have a cheap, unsupported
display card like the SiS6215 [Rs.200 wholesale] in your machine instead of
a decent card like a Matrox G100 (<2K) or even a S3 Virge/DX [~Rs.1000].

> Pls don't hit me with more rebukes, if its possible for me to *buy* the X
> server in India, I would appreciate a contact number.

Accelerated X is available fom GT Enterprises (http://www.gtcdrom.com). Be
aware though that it is *expensive* - in that money you could happily buy
yourself a more than decent display card and get going.

List admins - I advocate a page on the linux-india site that clearly lists
equipment that will not work with Linux (since this list would be shorter
than a list of things Linux *does* work with) so that people configuring
machines don't make the mistake of "a display card is a display card".

I am especially miffed with the SiS6215 cards - I have recently discovered
that there are many versions of these - some of which seem to work with
XFree86, some of them don't.

Let us all take a moment here to bend our heads and pray that the next
system integrator to offer anyone a SiS6215 card will get chewed up by a
herd of rabid hyenas, and then get trampled by a herd of elephants
(unsuccessfully) learning ballroom dancing.

The insane Yamaha sound cards with their varying chipsets and infinite
variations in BIOSs should be also be subjected to soccer practice with a
doped out team from South America - just after bowling practice with the
West Indians. These cards don;t even work properly under *Windows*!

Atul