RE: Unable to Dial From my modem

> > Some days, my modem (Boca 33.6K) refuses to detect dial tone, whatever
> > the init string is.
>
> > I just unhooked my main phone (hardwired to the telephone pole), and
> > dialed using my modem, and presto, it detected the dial tone,  and I
> > could get connected to internet!!  I don't know why it is behaving like
> > this.  I think it may be due to some h/w problem in my comp, because in
> > both linux and Win95, it is behaving alike.

A common experience when there are too many devices on the line. The phone
companies actually have a term/measure for this - it is called "ringer
equivalence", and should never be more than 1.0. If you check the specs of
your phone/modem, you will usually find an RE factor number stated.

The basic effect you have is that of too many lightbulbs attached to an
electricity source - after a point, either the fuse blows or the power drawn
is so heavy that the lights are technically on (like you can hear the dial
tome) but it isn't strong enough to read by (ergo your modem cannot "hear"
the dialtone).

Measure the voltage acorss your phone line without any devices attached. Do
so again after adding a modem, a phone instrument, etc. You will find that
at some point, the voltage dips below an acceptable level (usually less than
30V).

The correct way to set up a modem is

PhoneLine->ModemLineJack
PhoneInstruments->ModemPhoneJack

This way, when the modem goes offhook, all phone instruments are
disconnected for the duration, and hence do not cause any problems.

Atul