Re: Installation!

On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 11:48:38PM +0200, Jeffrey Yep wrote:
> Accroding to the PCQuest u can make a bootable disk by going to the images
> folder on the CD and running makedisk.bat , But there isn't any file by that
> name, infact there are only boot.cat, boot.img, supp.img etc. Can anybody
> help as I have Win 95 on a 486 and I can't boot using my CD ROM. Also if
> suppose I want to format my HDD and then completely install Linux on it,
> what do I do? Which utility should I use?
> Thanks,
> Jeff

If you have linux already installed, then you can mount the CD and put a fresh
floppy in the drive, and then type

dd if=/mnt/cdrom/path/to/boot.img =/dev/fd0

to make the bootable floppy.

On the cdrom, you might also find a program rawrite.exe. From windows,
you can run the program rawrite.exe and give the image name and the drive
letter to make the floppy.

Make this boot floppy, then boot from it. Select fresh installation, go to
fdisk when it asks for which partition manager to choose. Delete all
partitions (this will get rid of windows from your PC, and all the
accompanying problems). Create new partitions (allocate some swap space, I use
64MB). I suggest separate partitions for /home and /var.

Binand