Installation!

Accroding to the PCQuest u can make a bootable disk by going to the images
folder on the CD and running makedisk.bat , But there isn't any file by that
name, infact there are only boot.cat, boot.img, supp.img etc. Can anybody
help as I have Win 95 on a 486 and I can't boot using my CD ROM. Also if
suppose I want to format my HDD and then completely install Linux on it,
what do I do? Which utility should I use?
Thanks,
Jeff