RE: Sound Card Configuration Problem

Yes,
 I have faced this problem before. It looks like wrong IRQs are being
assigned. One thing I found is, the IRQ and DMA values for the card on
Windows is quite different from that on Linux. But it works. I have both
win98 as well as RH5.2 on my system and the card works fine in both. One
thing you have to check is to see that modular sound  support is present in
your kernel. If it is RH5.2 from PCQ CD with PCQUPDATE, it is already there.
If you are using RH5.1, you have to recompile the kernel with modular sound
support. To do this, read SoundCard-HOWTO and Kernel-HOWTO. Better option is
to upgrade to RH5.2

Second point is check what the pnpdump says. See if all logical devices are
configured properly, only once.
Then run isapnp . You should get an output like "Sound blaster 2.2 detected.
OK" or something like that.

Now, you can go ahead either loading sound modules using modprobe, or run
sndconfig, select an appropriate card, (I selected Sound Blaster Pro for my
Aztech SC-16 3D ISA based on Analog's AD1816 chipset). And select exactly
the same IRQ,DMAs that you read in pnpdump ouput. I assume you are storing
the pnpdump ouput in /etc/isapnp.conf.

After this, you should hear the sound of Linus.

HTH,
Srini.