Re: Hi!

    Mukund> Jeffrey Yep wrote:
    >>  Well I've finally got onto the linux-india list. Well I have a
    >> slight problem. You see I'm new to Linux and I'd like to
    >> install it on my 486 which has 8MB RAM and a CD ROM
    >> attached. But I have a few questions before I do that. I have
    >> only one HD which has only 600+ MB memory. Already 350Mb is
    >> occupied with Win 95 and its applications, so that leaves me
    >> with only 250MB free. Is 250MB enough for Linux?? I would like
    >> to go for Red Hat or if there is a better version ofLinux then
    >> please tell me. Basically will I be able to have a word
    >> processor, GUI interface for Linux on this much memory also?

    Mukund> First of all, rh5.2 needs minimum about 200 mb with kde,
    Mukund> mail, netscape, so 250 mb is not sufficient (assuming 32mb
    Mukund> of swap space).  Secondly I feel any gui like kde will be
    Mukund> torturing on 486. Linux with gui and netscape need at
    Mukund> least p200 with 32 mb ram.

I'm afraid I do not agree with any of your suggestions.  I'm happily
running KDE on a 486/66 with 24MB of RAM, and it's quite acceptable
(if a tad slow).  Secondly, you should be easily able to pare down
your RH installation to 100-150MB -- one doesn't /really/ need 4
shells, does one? (Just an example)

    Mukund> So forget gui, go for minimum installation (with all
    Mukund> options deselected in rh5.2 ) of about 60-70 mb. And if
    Mukund> you still want to conserve the space go for umsdos of
    Mukund> slack ware which will take 20-25 mb without separate
    Mukund> partition.

No. UMSDOS is an abortion.

    Mukund> If you really want to learn linux the dark world of
    Mukund> command line is best, the gui is for the people who just
    Mukund> want to use linux.

Uh, the times they are a'changing.  GUI's are perfectly fine for
right-brain people, it's just us left-brain types who go around
claiming that CLI's are God's gift to personkind.  Here's a simple
test: stare fixedly at the dot below, first with your left eye closed
for 15 minutes and then with your right eye closed for 15 minutes:

				.

Do you have a sudden urge to pick up a meat cleaver and come and visit
me in person?  If yes, then I'm sorry, you are one of those rare
people -- neither right nor left-brained.  On the other hand if you
just got a headache, then you should be using a GUI.  Or maybe a CLI.
Or was it the other?  Anyway, you get what I mean.

*Ducking and running*

    Mukund> Best Wishes.  -mukund
    Mukund> http://members.theglobe.com/betacomp/default.html
    Mukund> http://members.xoom.com/BETACOMP/index1.htm