Re: Viability of Linux companies

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Arun Sharma wrote:

> Linux uses the clone() system call. This is not in POSIX. Why is it
> not embrace and extend ?

Simple - if the clone() call is not in POSIX but *is* in Linux, it does
not harm anyone who does not need it and who only uses POSIX compliant
stuff.

If, on the other hand, Linux would take a POSIX-compliant call and mutate
it so that the house comes down (as was done by MS), *then* it is called
embrace and extend.

> Reading too much of the "linux press" is harmful to your objectivity.

Methinks that you are going a bit *too* overboard with your criticism of
*anything* related to Linux and the way it and the community function.

If you are here primarily to discourage people about *anything* related to
Linux and only preach the wonders of BSD, then may I respectfully suggest
that you may possibly be in the wrong mailing list?

I for one do not read too much BSD press, for the simple reason that I
am not really interested in it, and in any case there doesnt seem to be
much of it.

If there is something positive to be said, I'd love to hear it. If there
is something negative to be said (which seems to be all that is coming
from your side about Linux) I would rather continue reading about it in
the MS junkmail that fills my mailbox, not in a Linux mailing list (even
if you were the one who started this list).

Mind you - I am not saying this because I bear any illwill towards your
current flavour of the day - I am just more interested in Linux and its
growth.

Thanks for understanding.

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx (PGP:6011BCB8)
Bangalore, India   | +91 (80) 3440397 Fax +91 (80) 3341137