Discrimination was Re: Viability of Linux companies

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Kingsly John wrote:

> No I'm advocating non discrimination!
Get real man!

> FYI you can do the same on netscape too infact there's a script which
> works on both IE and netscape... check out htmlguru.com
> (They have a LOT of cool scripts which work across browsers)
ROFLOL

FYI - that script is a modification of my work, which was a result of
exchange of numerous emails between me and Martin Webb, later
publisehd in PCQ more than a year ago. Yes it is cross browser and I would
have rather written a whole lot less code than try to make it cross
browser compliant.

In case you don't know who Martin Webb is visit irt.org or search
Amazon.com.

BTW - do you know who I am? frankly I don't know who you are ....
Hmm.. .. not that it matters in this case.

>  |Now - The other browser users can either ( along with analogy)
>
> FYI ... the browsers maybe a car.... but you run a restaurant where the
> owner drops in to eat....
The analogy of restaurant falls flat. If I as a customer don't know the
owner then it is unlikely I will be allowed in to speak to him - that way
a restaurant is CLOSED SOURCE.

> You can say only Sienna owners can walk in on a red carpet while maruti
> owners will have to use the kitchen entrance!
No - Maruti owners won't be allowed in at all - such places do exist in
real world.

> How many of your Maruti customers would love to walk in thru the kitchen ?

If I run such an elitist thing - what do I care??

> Get DC to do a face/feature lift ... how many people will be able to do
> it ?? (will work for cars... but not for browsers! remember netscape is
> closed source too!)
Mozilla ?? and a few more??

> It's not fair to discriminate against someone just because he has  a
> different browser/different car/different color of skin.

Fair? twisted logic...

Walk in to a car show room and demand a Sienna for a price of a
Maruti. They should not discriminate against you just because you have
less money.

Just because Linux user cannot experience my web site in its full glory,
wouldn't I be discriminating against those who can?

Isn't it discriminatory against me as a developer that I cannot display
all my programming skills just becuase Linux users cannot see it?

> floppies !!!(most people were still using PCs with either 1 or 2 floppy
> drives and a floppy could hold 360kb of data WOW!!! We even had single
> sided floppies in the market!)
Ah! good you must then be also remembering ZXspectrum which had all of
48Kb RAM.

This probably is my last mail in this thread - I don't intend to
participate in a game of one man up!

Tarique

       B2B Application Providers
        http://www.sanisoft.com