Re: Viability of Linux companies (Was Re: A Linux Today story has been mailed to you!)

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Kingsly John wrote:

>  |and while I may be a non standard person - IE simply offers me too many
>  |features to play around with while doing client side scripting.
>
> Which will only work on IE ... that is the whole point!(I really love that
> frontpage extension thing which makes you page appear from grains... but
> all other browser users will not be able to see that cool effect.)

I am sure you are not advocating everybody stay poor because not everybody
can get rich! He He He.... That would be rich!

So while I can show my M$IE users a page that can scroll without scroll
bars - the other browsers users have to use the plain simple scroll
bars.This,for me as a developer is a headache is an entirely different
matter.

Now - The other browser users can either ( along with analogy)

a) not mind not having the feature, I drive a maruti 800 can't afford the
Sienna that Atul drives.

b) sulk and say it is not standard, Atul in that case will never be
convinced to junk his car.

c) put the feature there, I can hand craft my Maruti 800 in to a
convertible, bore larger cylinders, have magelium pistons and run it on
ethanol! WOW - the people behind me better stay clear of the flames.
Well I got a bit carried away BUT except for the last ethanol part I am
indeed going to do what I have outlined.(Psst... Atul will you exchange
;-)

The point being if M$ rams something inferior down our throats and calls
it a standard we are correct in shouting that it is NOT!

However if they have something superior then we should be graceful enough
to acknowledge it.

I don't know about you but I have been using computers long enough to
remember that mouse was once called a non standard peripheral.

Amen.

Tarique

       B2B Application Providers
        http://www.sanisoft.com