Re: [SOT] VSNL Mail woes...

>  Netscape messaging server (aka iPlanet).  It's not too bad.
>  Ah yes, their smtp*.vsnl.net machines run that as their smtp and pop
servers.
>  Their *.vsnl.net.in machines run postfix (far better imho) for smtp.

Whatever it is, their @vsnl.net server kinda sucks -

  I've found sometimes, while using their smtp - smtp.vsnl.net, it takes the
Sender's name as it was registered (i.e.:what they in their system) with and
not from the client. Not frequent, but happens once in a while. It doesn't
even allow to send mails thru it if the reply address is not set to
@vsnl.net not even if @server.vsnl.net.in though connected from the same
network/pool.

  The connectivity is too bad .. as compared with the other local city based
servers. I've tested it out with the same modem, dial up service and
connection protocols.

  Even while being a receipient its not, I guess. When I try to send a mail
to apcl@vsnl and Cc palchau@cal2 to that from the same smtp server bom2
(postfix), the account at cal2 gets it much before.

Perhaps this is because of the excessive load on this server ? Since the
last couple of months all the accounts from the metros are being assigned
from this server.

- jay